The IDWG organized a workshop in September 2019, in Warsaw, Poland, to examine the contribution of “nuclear beyond electricity”.
This report summarizes the key discussion outcomes of the 2019 workshop, providing a concise overview of the potential role of nuclear energy, in non-electric and various industrial applications.
The seven panel sessions addressed many important issues, including:
• Challenges to decarbonization in meeting the Paris Agreement.
• Nuclear energy crossroads and challenges faced by countries backing away from nuclear.
• Energy future and the contribution of nuclear in achieving clean energy. • Cost-effectiveness/competitiveness of nuclear energy.
• Public perception and confidence in nuclear energy projects.
• Radioactive waste management and disposal – multinational repositories.
• International platforms to strengthen nuclear energy cooperation among countries.
The workshop consisted of three separate sessions addressing:
1. Regulatory Approaches for New Large Reactors by Established Regulators
2. Challenges Facing New Regulators
3. Challenges in Regulating SMRs
In addition to representatives from national nuclear safety regulatory authorities, the IAEA, the WNA, and the NEA also presented and participated.
Reports on Supply Chain and Localisation
Reports on multinational repositories
Reports on Financing
Reports on SMR