Workshop on Nuclear Energy Beyond Electricity
The IDWG organized a workshop in September 2019, in Warsaw, Poland, to examine the contribution of “nuclear beyond electricity”.
This report summarizes the key discussion outcomes of the 2019 workshop, providing a concise overview of the potential role of nuclear energy, in non-electric and various industrial applications.
Workshop on Challenges and Opportunities Facing Nuclear Energy in an Energy Transitions Context:
Innovation and Actions to Advance Clean Nuclear Energy
The seven panel sessions addressed many important issues, including:
• Challenges to decarbonization in meeting the Paris Agreement.
• Nuclear energy crossroads and challenges faced by countries backing away from nuclear.
• Energy future and the contribution of nuclear in achieving clean energy. • Cost-effectiveness/competitiveness of nuclear energy.
• Public perception and confidence in nuclear energy projects.
• Radioactive waste management and disposal – multinational repositories.
• International platforms to strengthen nuclear energy cooperation among countries.
Workshop on New Challenges Facing Nuclear Regulators
The workshop consisted of three separate sessions addressing:
1. Regulatory Approaches for New Large Reactors by Established Regulators
2. Challenges Facing New Regulators
3. Challenges in Regulating SMRs
In addition to representatives from national nuclear safety regulatory authorities, the IAEA, the WNA, and the NEA also presented and participated.
Reports on Supply Chain and Localisation
2017 IFNEC The Summary Report of the Conference Global Supply Chain and Localization Issues and Opportunities
Reports on multinational repositories
2016 IFNEC Practical Considerations to Begin Resolving the Final Spent Fuel Disposal Pathway for Countries with Small Nuclear Programs
Reports on Financing
2016 IFNEC NEA Nuclear Energy’s Role in the 21st Century Addressing the Challenge of Financing
2013 IFNEC Finance Regulatory And Energy Planning Authority Workshop
2012 IFNEC Finance Workshop Final Summary Report
Reports on SMR