Support the expansion of nuclear power to help meet growing energy demand in a sustainable manner and in a way that provides safe operations of nuclear power plants and management of wastes. Facilitate the development of the infrastructure needed for worldwide expansion of clean, sustainable, nuclear energy in a safe and secure manner, while at the same time reducing the risk of nuclear proliferation.
- Determine infrastructure needs of the Participants.
- Identify areas of global infrastructure that could be improved through international cooperation and in coordination with multilateral organizations and fora such as the IAEA or GIF.
- Identify relevant on-going activities to support infrastructure development (multilateral, bilateral, and other) in Participant states.
- Characterize financial and organizational barriers to the introduction/expansion of nuclear power and identify means to address them.
Areas of Focus
- Human Resource Development
- Radioactive Waste Management sub-group
- Research and Development
- Funding and institutional arrangements
- Interactions with stakeholders
- Safe and secure storage and transport of used fuel and radioactive waste prior to disposition
- Opportunities and constraints for regional and/or shared disposal facilities
- Opportunities for changing how human resources are developed
- Waste issues for Small Modular Reactors
- Small Modular Reactors (economics and radioactive waste management)
- Support for Participant Countries: Assessments & Financing Approaches
- Interaction with Specialist Organizations
- Online Resource Library
- Infrastructure Needs for an Comprehensive Fuel Services (CFS) Framework (interest in international repositories
- Safeguards and security